Table of Content
Imagine a place in your home that heals your mind, body, and soul.
The moment you step into that space, your mood improves and all the stress and worry of life go away.
The aura of the space helps you develop clarity of thought and leads you to connect with your spirituality.
A dedicated meditation space will do exactly that for you.
Everyone should have a meditation space in their homes.
Having such a space can give you the opportunity to recharge both your mind and body, and keep you balanced. It can also make it easier for you to build a daily habit of meditation practice.
It doesn’t have to be a complete room. It can even be a small corner in your bedroom.
Or, somewhere in the backyard or garden of your house.
While there are no specific rules that need to be followed when creating your meditation space, there are some things you should take into consideration.
Follow these 11 steps to set up your perfect meditation space anywhere in your house and slip into your own meditation retreat every day.
It Starts with the Location
Creating your meditation space starts with choosing the right location where you can perform your daily meditation practice. Technically, you can even meditate in the subway.
But the meditation space at your home must be the most delightful of all places for you to practice it.
You can dedicate a complete room to it or just pick a corner inside your house. Even an outdoor spot can be ideal.
Just make sure to pick a spot in your house that:
- Is quiet and will cause minimal distraction
- Will make you feel relaxed and comfortable
- Will make you feel safe
- Will make you look forward to practicing meditation
- Is not in the middle of a heavily trafficked area in the house
- Does not make you anxious if you close your eyes
Fresh Air is Very Important
You must always breathe fresh air. Fresh air can boost your mood, improve your health, and help you feel refreshed. The importance of breathing fresh air becomes all the more important when you are focusing on the act of breathing during meditation practice.
To ensure your meditation space is well-ventilated, you can:
- Keep the windows open, if there are windows in the room
- Turn on the fan or a silent air-purifier, like this one to maintain air-flow, if there are no windows in the room
- Pick a location outside of the house as your meditation spot
An airy and well-ventilated space will surely enhance your meditation experience.
Room color affects your mood. And you would wanna get into a positive and relaxed mood during your meditation practice.
Color psychology tells us that pastel colors like baby blue, lilac, mint, and cool-toned colors like shades of blue, and green have a calming and relaxing effect. But feel free to go with your personal choice of shade that relaxes you. You might wanna skip bright red and yellow though as they might make you feel hungry.
- Pick a room as your meditation spot that has relaxing colors on its walls
- Color the walls of your meditation space with relaxing shades of blue or green, or pastel colors
- Put up wallpaper with calming colors
- Switching to lights of same shades
Lighting makes a Difference
Depending on what time of the day you practice meditation and your personal preferences, the lighting around in your meditation space can make a difference.
If you prefer bright lights, you might want to let natural lights brighten up your meditation space.
If you prefer dim lights, make sure to use curtains that can diffuse the light partially, not completely.
Ideally, the lighting should make your meditation environment feel cozy and positive.
- Install dimmers for the light fixtures in the meditation room so you can customize the lighting as per the timing of the day and your mood
- Pick a room that allows natural lights and have shades or curtains on windows
- Use candles
- Use shade to protect your eyes from the direct sunlight if you practice outside
Must Smell Nice
If you’ve ever used essential oils, then you might be familiar with the power of aromatherapy.
Aromatherapy makes use of the association of our sense of smell with emotions.
With a plethora of fragrance options, aromatherapy treatment can help relax, relieving you of stress and anxiety.
Using one of the soothing fragrances in your meditation space can help you associate meditation practice as something of a soothing and relaxing experience. The more you make it a multisensory experience, the more chances of you sticking to practicing it daily.
- Burn aromatic incense sticks or candles (Be careful while using it)
- Put a few drops of essential oil into an air diffuser like this one to let it spread the fragrance
Comfort is Necessary
You will find it impossible to meditate if you’re not comfortable during the practice.
To begin with, every meditation expert will tell you that there is absolutely no need to sit in some fancy pose like the lotus or what Sharon Salzburg calls the pretzel pose.
The only requirement is that your hip must be situated higher than your knees when you are sitting down to take off any pressure on your knees.
If you’re sitting on a chair, make sure there is a proper backrest or cushion, and your legs are not dangling freely.
To make your meditation experience a comfortable one, you can:
- Use a meditation cushion or rolled-up blanket or soft yoga mat, if you’re practicing by sitting down. Check out my recommended list of accessories here.
- Choose a comfortable cushioned chair with proper backrest and short enough to let your feet touch the floor
- Wear comfortable clothes with minimal stress at any part of your body
Ensure maximum comfort while you meditate so you can focus your attention on the practice.
Meditation practice is a self-investment and the time you spend during meditation must be considered your time. That means everything else will have to wait for those few minutes.
Also, you have to make sure nothing can interfere with your attention during the meditation practice. You can:
- Put your phone on silent and keep it out of the meditation room
- Avoid keeping other electronics like the TV and video game devices in the meditation room
- Remove any possible source of distraction from the meditation space
A little Music can Help
If you think music can relax and help you meditate better, put on some meditative music in the background. Meditative music is generally soft instrumental or natural soothing music like birds chirping, raining ocean waves, etc.
If you live in a busy city area, playing music during meditation can be particularly helpful to dial down on distractions from any outside noise.
To use music during meditation, you can:
- Pick musical tracks that are long enough to continue playing through your meditation session
- Make a playlist of sounds beforehand and put them on repeat to avoid interruption
The key is to minimize distractions in your meditation space and if music helps, use it effectively.
Nature brings Calm
Nature always makes us calm. While it would be ideal to meditate outside in a natural environment, you can always bring nature inside in your meditation room.
Elements of nature such as plants, vases of cut flowers, jars filled with sand and seashells, etc. can infuse organic relaxation and healing in your meditation space.
Many meditators recommend having a water fountain or an artificial waterfall in the meditation room because the water flowing sounds and picture inspires deep calmness and relaxation.
To add nature to your meditation space, you can:
- Pick a meditation location outside the house with lots of organic elements around
- Add plants, vases of cut flowers, jars filled with sand and seashells, etc. to your meditation space indoors
- Install a miniature water fountain or waterfall to enhance relaxation inside the meditation room
Clean and Clutter-free
A clean environment is always a healthy environment.
Less clutter in your meditation space will help unclutter your mind to engage in an enhanced meditation practice. There can be nothing more distracting than a cluttered area, especially when you’re trying to relax.
Make sure there is minimal stuff in and around your meditation space so that your eyes fall on clean surfaces. Clean surfaces will boost hygiene of the space that can have a positive impact on your meditation experience too.
To maintain a clean meditation space, you can:
- Keep only the necessary items in your meditation space like a couple of cushions, a yoga mat, a rolled-blanket, a chair, etc.
- Organize the meditation space in a neat manner and re-organize them after every session.
- Clean the open surfaces in your meditation room daily to minimize dust and other bacterial growth
Make it special with your Personal Touch
Adding a personal touch to your meditation space is imperative to enhance your meditation experience. Apart from the external elements, what can make you relax and focus is unique to you. It may be a picture of your dog, or something else dear to you.
Keep all such meaningful items in front of you on an altar. Having these items can inspire you and help you transition into a quiet, peaceful attitude for the meditation practice.
To personalize your meditation space, you can:
- Keep all personal inspiring items like photos, objects, etc. on a small platform in front of you
- Identify your choice of sensations (sounds, smells, sights, touch) that soothe you and include them in the meditation space
- Items such as bells, chimes, crystals, a Buddha statue, affirmation stones, beads, and artwork may help create a serene and peaceful environment for you to enhance your meditation
- Don’t overcrowd the space with lots of items. Keep only a few pieces at a time and swap them with different ones at times later.
There are many elements that you need to keep in mind when creating your meditation space.
From choosing the right location to even the colors of the walls, everything about a meditation space matters significantly.
But more importantly, remember to keep in touch with what your heart truly wants and integrate that with these eleven tips.
Start looking around your home and create your meditation space right away. You may be surprised at how this dedicated space can help you relax and connect with your soul whenever you want to.